Are you a US company looking to hire a foreigner? Are you a foreigner with a fantastic once in a life-time job opportunity in the US? Do you find yourself traveling frequently to the USA on too many business trips? Are you staying for longer and longer periods of time during your “business trips” to the USA? Are you considering opening a US branch of your company soon? You must comprehend US immigration law.

Work Permits to the US

Divided into two areas – Permanent EB ( Employment Based) and Temporary Work Permits

Temporary are for a specific period of time. These can be relatively fast to apply for :

Most common Work permit Options or Temporary Residence Permits available are :

  • O1 A visas for exceptionable talent in business, arts, sciences, sports etc – We represent Chefs, Film Directors, Business Entrepreneurs, Online Gaming Experts, Karate experts, Singers, Song-writers, Actors and even fitness trainers.
  • E1 visas for companies located in a treaty country that trades either a service or a product over the ocean with the US. Trade can be imported or Exported.
  • E2 visas for individuals or companies located in a treaty country that has invested a substantial financial investment in a US based active company.
  • J1 training visas are 18 month training programs for young professionals who have a US company who wishes to train them in the same industry – corporate, hotel, restaurants etc.
  • H1b Visas for Skilled Professionals that are hired by US companies
  • L1 visas are for company employees who are either ranked at a managerial, executive or highly skilled level who have worked for over 12 months in the foreign company and are transferring to the US branch.
  • B1/ B2 business visitors in lieu of a future visa, student visas ( F1’s), Complicated tourist or business visas, domestic caregiver visas, au pairs and ineligibility waivers.


Permanent Residence  -(I-551)  PR or Otherwise know as A Green card allows you to live and work permanently in the United States.

Similar to the Temporary visas categories above –  In order to apply for a Green Card, you must be eligible under one of the categories.

see attached a full explanation –

Immigrant Worker  – US companies can sponsor current or potential employees. The first stage is by applying is the process for obtaining labor certification otherwise known as PERM. The Program Electronic Review Management (PERM) is a process for applying for a Labor Certification Application. The PERM process was created by the Department of Labor to simplify and bring together the filing and processing of employment certifications for workers of other nationalities.

Visa-holders of the following non-immigrant visas can apply for an immigrant visa: H Visa – Temporary Workers and Trainees; L Visa – Intra-company Transferees; O Visa – Applicants with Extraordinary Abilities; P Visa – Athletes, Artists and Entertainers.

Immigrant Investor –  Have invested or are actively in the process of investing at least $1 million (or $500,000 in a targeted employment area) in a new commercial enterprise in the U.S. which will create full-time positions for at least 10 qualifying employees?

See our blog for further information about each visa type separately

Background Music