What is the OVRO and what is the procedure for registration in the Police Station?
Changes from 2nd February 2020 – NO more Walkin’s to Police station – ONLY ONLINE Booking
What is OVRO – Overseas Visitors Records Office
Visa applicants from countries around the world have different requirements upon applying for visas. Some need to apply for vaccinations, others don’t.
Also visa applicants to the United Kingdom from different countries around the world have specific requirements upon arriving in the UK and mandatory procedures they need to fulfill even after arriving in the UK.
If you are listed on the list above – you are required to register with the British police after arriving in the UK with a visa, or after extending your permission to stay for longer in the UK.
You shall see attached the link for ONLINE Bookings – PLEASE Keep this confirmation and send straight to your Lawyer to keep for safe keeping. https://www.ovroregistrations.org/
You will notice that this requirement is registered on your visa ‘vignette’ which is the sticker that you received in your passport showing your 30 days entry to the UK. You must register with the UK police if it has ‘Police registration’ or ‘Register with police in 7 days of entry’ on it.
If you extended your stay inside the UK with the Home Office, you should get a BRP letter from the Home Office when your application’s approved. It will tell you if you must register. Please read this carefully – IT is mandatory to register within 7 days.
If you don’t register with the police and get your PRC when you’re required to do so, that is an offence under Section 26(1) (f) of the Immigration Act 1971 – your current or any further application for stay in the UK could also be affected.
This is important, because if you don’t you may face:
- a £5,000 fine
- a prison sentence
- recommendation of deportation
- a ten-year ban on entering the UK
- arriving in the UK if you applied for a visa from outside the UK
- getting your biometric residence permit if you applied to stay for longer from inside the UK
Appointment times will generally be available from 9am to 3.30pm Monday to Wednesday and Friday (the office is closed on Thursdays and public holidays).
Make sure that you arrive with the correct documents for you, your spouse and your over 16 year old dependents. If NOT you will have to book a new appointment if you don’t take the correct documents with you.
OVRO document checklist
- your completed registration form ( see attached below) this should be filled in on computer previously and printed out – NB – One for each applicant
- one UK passport-sized photo (45mm x 35mm), glued to the form
- your passport (containing your visa vignette)
- your biometric residence permit (BRP) *
- £34 registration fee (payable by cash or card. We can now accept payments made by American Express, Diners Club International and through most mobile payment applications such as Apple Pay and Google pay)
- You will be required to show details of your online booking confirmation on your phone or printout when you attend.